Is it permissible to wear taweez?
1. Allah describes the Quran as a ‘Shifa’ (cure). The words of Allah have so much power and force that they cure people from their physical and spiritual illnesses. Allah Almighty says in the Quran, ‘We send down in Quran that which is a healing and a mercy to the believers’ (17:82)
2. Allama Alusi al-Hanafi, in his Tafsir of the Quran, writes: ‘According to Imam Malik It is permitted to tie around the neck the taweez written with the name of Allah. Imam Baqir also stated that it is permitted to tie such a taweez around the neck of a child’ [Rooh-ul-Maani, chapter 15 under verse 97 of Surah Muminoon]
3. Imam al-Qurtubi wrote: ‘The taweez, which are permitted are those written with duas evidently from Quran and hadith only’
4. Fatawa al-Hindiyya (one of the primary references in the Hanafi school) : ‘There is nothing wrong with hanging taweez, but one should take them off before going to the toilet and before intercourse.’ [5.356]
5. Musannaf of Imam Abu Bakr ibn Abi Shayba, the permissibility of hanging a taweez is reported from many of the Companions and early Muslims (Salaf), including: Said ibn al-Musayyib, Ata, Mujahid, Abd Allah ibn Amr, Ibn Sirin, Abayd Allah ibn Abd Allah ibn Umar, and others. [Musannaf, 5.439]
6. The great Hanafi Jurist, Imam Ibn Abidin states: ‘Using of Taweez will not be permissible if they are written in a non-Arabic language.’
7. Hafidh ibn Kathir wrote that ‘Amr Ibn Shuaib says, that RasoolAllah taught my Father and grandfather a Dua which we would read before going to sleep, to protect us from fear. We told our elder children to recite this Dua before going to sleep as well. But for those children who were not yet literate, we would write it and then tie it around their necks.’ [Musnad Ahmad Ibn Hanbal vol.2, Abu Dawud in Chapter of Medicine]
8. Allama Shami Hanafi writes that ‘it is permitted to write a Ta’weez and tie around the neck.’ [Rud-ul-Mukhtar chapter Qirat, Sharah Sahih Muslim chapter on Tib by Allama Sa’idi].
9. Imam Ibn Taymiya writes in his Fatawa that hanging or wearing of amulets — taweez is normally permissible.
10. Ibn Abbas (Allah be pleased with him) is reported to have mentioned a certain Dua that should be written and placed close to the woman who is experiencing hard labor at the time of giving birth.
11. Sayyiduna Ali says: ‘This Dua should be written and tied to the arm of the woman. We have experienced that there is nothing more amazing than this’ (Fatawa Ibn Taymiyya, 19/65).
12. Imam Ibn al-Qayyim also narrates the permissibility of using Ta’wizes from a number of salafs including the great Imam Ahmad ibn Hanbal. Thereafter, Ibn al-Qayyim himself quotes various Ta’wizes (Zad al-Ma’ad, 3/180).
13. Abu Basheer said: The Messenger of Allah (SAW) sent a messenger ordering: There shall not remain any necklace of string or any other kind of necklace round the necks of camels except it is cut off’. Reported by Al-Bukhari in book of Jihaad, no. 3005 and Abu Dawud. Note — the camels, not the humans!
14. Ibn Abi Shaybah transmitted in his Musannaf also transmitted from Abu ‘Ismah: he said, ‘I asked Sa’id ibn al-Musayyab about ta’widh, and he said: ‘there is no harm when it is on leather.’ And he transmitted from Mujahid that he would write ta’widh for people and hang it on them.
15. Shaykh Sulaymaan ibn ‘Abd al-Wahhab said: ‘Know that the scholars among the Sahaabah and Taabi’een and those who came after them differed as to whether it is permissible to hang up amulets which only contain words from the Qur’aan or names and attributes of Allah.’
16. Humayd ibn Qays al Makki said, that a man came to the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, with the two sons of Jafar ibn Abi Talib. He said to their nursemaid, ‘Why do I see them so thin?’ Their nursemaid said, ‘Messenger of Allah, the evil eye goes quickly to them. Nothing stops us from asking someone to make talismans for them, except that we do not know what of that would agree with you.’ The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, ‘Make talismans for them. Had anything been able to precede the decree, the evil eye would precede it.’
17.Imam Bayhaqi has reported a detailed Hadith in Dalail-un-Nubuwwah that Sayyiduna Abu Dujana complained in the court of Rasoolullah about Jinns disturbing him at night, so he asked Sayyiduna Ali to write a few holy words on a paper. After that Abu Dujana folded that paper and place it under his pillow before going to sleep. At night, he heard screams of Jinns who begged him to put away the amulet. In the morning, he discussed the matter with Rasoolullah and The Holy Prophet said, ‘O Abu Dujana, take that amulet away from them, for by Allah who has sent me with truth, that nation of Jinns will remain in pain until the Day of Judgment’.
Another article for the positive use of taweez:Link to article for taweez
But let`s forget for a moment about the quotes from these HOLLY people, let`s think logical in these three points:
1. THE MOST IMPORTANT fact for the taweez -THE TAWEEZ WHICH CONTAINS ONE OR MORE OF THE GREAT NAMES OF ALLAH S.A.T. CANNOT BE HARAM! Nothing on this world, which contains the name of ALLAH S.A.T. can be haram.
2. About the numbers in some of the taweezat, which are representing letters from the arabic alphabet — a lot of people, are speaking that these numbers are shirk, because they don’t know their meaning. Now our question about the so called ‘shirk’ numbers is: isn’t it the same if you write ‘two thousand and nineteen’ or 2019?
3. Some people are saying that wearing a twine is shirk — ok, but the rosary which moulana are using is not a twine?
4. And finally — there is NO BAN FOR WEARING TAWEEZ in our Holly Book — Quran. Just check it! You will not see even a single word about ban of the taweez!!!!
THERE IS NOT A SINGLE WORD IN THE QURAN AGAINST TAWEEZ!!!